Sunday, November 26, 2017

My Black Friday Events

I'm not a black Friday shopper who goes to stores with deals and crowding people. Instead Megan and I left town late Fri morning.  We went to the Willamette heritage center that features the Thomas Kay woolen mill, which was built in 1896. She wanted to see the featured exhibit about Salem Fire dept...celebration of 160 yrs of service. We went on a guided tour thru the woolen mill first. Just the docent and the two of us. No crowds. I've been there a couple times but never on a complete tour. I learned a few new things about the mill.  It's amazing what the men went through to work on the wool. No OSHA back then. Can you imagine working with acid? No protection for the face and skin. Dye water dumped into the mill race that wound up in the Willamette river eventually? Loud machines that shook the floors. Life was so different then in the late 1800s. 
This mill made blankets and also uniforms for soldiers in WWI and WWII. World competition came into slowing sales here at the mill. More machines, less people in Europe led to closing this mill later on. Daughter and son in law of Thomas Kay started up a mill in Oregon City and Pendelton. The latter one is still in existence. Quite the story. 
The docent turned the lights on so we could see what they look like while working. Not as bright as all the fluorescent tube lighting. There were a lot of windows too.

After a short snack break in another building, we rode the elevator again. Megan unlocked the room where the Salem fire department exhibit was displayed.
November 1935 record book from Salem.

The first fire crew in Salem was in 1857.

Interesting display of photos and uniforms. A leather fire hose. A map of downtown Salem that's so different from now that was in a huge book made in California. Photos of when the capitol bldg caught fire and one fireman was killed in the line of duty when big white bricks fell down upon him. A rescue vehicle had his name on in as a memoriam to this young man who was a college student. I think he went to Willamette University, there in Salem.

A display outside in the hallway before we went into the elevator . Woman's Home 
Companion, March 1943, 25 cents.  My mom would have been 19 years old then. 
It would have been interesting to see the inside of the magazine. Nope, didn't want to break the glass. 

Nice sign outside a yarn store downstairs. I perused the store and found some lovely yarn. None on sale that jumped into my hands. Some I'd like to have. I need to work on my stash first. No sales to me there either!

Before we left home, I sent a hint to my husband from a flyer I had with me. I'd like this for Christmas and it's on sale til Sat. Will see if it shows up underneath the Christmas tree this year. I have heard many good things about this item. My daughter-in-law has one and really likes it. If I do get one, then the other two crock pots will be gone. Only so much room on my shelves. 
I thought about buying it myself but didn't even make it to Fred Meyer as the tour was longer than I thought. So we ate a quick lunch at Subway then went to Trader Joes for groceries and came home. The back roads are a good alternative during this time of year when one gets off close to the mall. These roads are so lovely while winding through the countryside! 

We've walked through many leaves this fall. These were our red carpet on Thanksgiving afternoon, a few blocks away from us. 

And an event that reminds me of this red color is no fire that happened at our house on Friday evening. I was cooking dinner on our gas cook stove. Everything fine. Walked away for about 3 minutes and came back when there was an awful, none gas odor that was horrific! Two of 4 burners were on and noise like a pilot light when you first turn it on was questionable! Burners that were on were not right either!!!! All burners dials were like I'd left them...on correctly!!! No rotten egg smell. Megan called the fire dept once we shut it off and left the house. I'd grabbed my purse but my phone left on the table. Oh well... They tested for gas/carbon monoxide and nothing bad. But head fireman said he smelled something weird when he came in. Gas company was called, arrived, shut off our gas after I did a bit of dishes and Megan took a quick shower. {Why we didn't do it earlier is beyond me. We were tired!} They called to see if someone could come out that night instead a.m. Over an hour later the other gas man came, tested again, both appliances...everything good! So he turned the gas back on!  He said there's many things that happen and best it get checked out. He's got many stories. I was exhausted by the time it was all over. Adrenaline will do that to ya.....long day, good day, thank you God for your protection. Thankful for friendly fire fighters and gas company workers who care and show up to help out! Ya just never know if you don't  stop it before something actually happens. We did get dinner finished after the firemen left. Nothing exploded!!!

This afternoon after church we went down to Salem and ate at Olive Garden. Used one of our gift cards from our anniversary. Oh so good! Phil was kind enough to drive over to Big Lots so I could shop. I got a few items. While walking to the restroom I had to go through the furniture section. Many recliners. I set on a couple. Oh so cozy! Made in America by Simmons. Under $300!!! I talked with one of the furniture men and he gave me colors and size {width} and just may get one later. Both of ours are used and mine is getting less cozy! Will see!

Have a blessed week and thanks for stopping in to read and comment on my blog posts. 

"Enter His gates with thanksgiving; go into His courts with praise. 
Give thanks to Him and praise His name." Psalm 100:4


Lydia C. Lee said...

Looks busy!!

Carol @Comfort Spring Station said...

I would have enjoyed your Black Friday event - the tour looks interesting.

Betsy said...

WOW! WOW! You have a lot of news in this post. Fist and foremost, I'm so grateful to God that you and Megan are fine and the fire dept. and gas workers didn't find anything serious. Thank God that you are all okay. I'm sorry you had to go through something that scary.
The tour sounds like lots of fun and so does the yarn shop. How I wish I lived closer and could have some adventures with you.
If you get the Instapot you will love it. I have one and use it all of the time. Hopefully Phil got your very good hint! :-)

Teresa Kindred said...

Hey Becky! Sounds like a fun day! I don't like crowds either. Thank for linking up at NanaHood!

Teresa Kasner said...

I love museums about woolen mills. I'm proud that Oregon has such a successful mill still doing very well commercially, Pendleton. I have bought several things from them, I like to support local business.

*H*A*P*P*Y* * *H*O*L*I*D*A*Y*S*!*!*!*

((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Mereknits said...

The museum tour sounds wonderful Becky. Boy what a scare you had later. So glad you are all okay and your home is safe.

Judee Algazi said...

Such an interesting post. I love the old magazine- my mom would have been in her thirties in 1943. I got an instant pot on sale online at Kohls on Black Friday. It is my 2nd one - I use mine for everything. This one is for the beach!